Author Topic: What did you do in the garden today ?  (Read 439130 times)

Offline Gymgirl

• Sprout
  • Zone 9a, SE Houston near Hobby Airport
    • View Profile
Re: What did you do in the garden today ?
« Reply #4080 on: August 12, 2019, 12:52:23 PM »
Bent over to pick up the hose pipe EARLY Saturday morning, and threw my back out.  Out of commission for the whole weekend.  Managed to stand up and pot up one tray of Arcadia Broccoli seedlings, cuz seedlings don't care if you're in pain, and, it had to be done. 

Still have a tray of tomato and a tray of more broccoli seedlings to be potted up.  I watered the garden in between the pain...it hurt less to stand up straight, so, holding the hose wasn't too bad...

Burning daylight!!!!
230.5 sf of raised bed gardening; the "eBucket Queen" :-* ; Geobin composters; Mittleider "in-the-garden greenhouse" & PVC A-frame mini-greenhouses; compost fork with a green handle; coffee grinds & bunny berries forever; baby shampoo forever; cedar fence pickets forever, PVC hoops and hoop covers, forever! :-*

Offline ccat

• Grasshopper
  • It takes a big chicken to weigh 20 pounds
    • View Profile
« Reply #4081 on: August 12, 2019, 05:15:50 PM »
Picked two 5 gallon buckets of PHP's and have them sold already.
Making a plan of action for the next few mornings to start cleaning and getting the garden ready for fall.
TV said we're to have 115 degree heat index tomorrow so I will NOT be out in the garden in the heat of the day....
Limestone County, Northern Alabama
NO MATTER WHERE YOU GO, THAT'S WHERE YOU'LL BE
Kubota L2501 w/FEL, 1 row Cultivator, disc hillers, middle buster, Land Pride 4' PTO tiller, many hand tools...staring 2 Hooke n Crookes.

Online 2010 National Champs

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #4082 on: August 13, 2019, 09:06:08 AM »
picked two buckets of tomatoes, a sack of bell pepper and a sack of corn....sprayed 6 tomato plants to have to eat on, the hell with the rest of them! I'M TIRED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
vocal supporter for Seeds and Such Seed Co

Offline Gymgirl

• Sprout
    • View Profile
« Reply #4083 on: August 14, 2019, 10:26:07 AM »
2010 National Champs,

You're ripping tomato plants, and, I'm just getting ready to set tomato plants in 3 more weeks, LOL!
230.5 sf of raised bed gardening; the "eBucket Queen" :-* ; Geobin composters; Mittleider "in-the-garden greenhouse" & PVC A-frame mini-greenhouses; compost fork with a green handle; coffee grinds & bunny berries forever; baby shampoo forever; cedar fence pickets forever, PVC hoops and hoop covers, forever! :-*

Offline Gymgirl

• Sprout
    • View Profile
« Reply #4084 on: August 14, 2019, 10:49:12 AM »
More garden updates:
Zucchinis transplanted 2 weeks ago
Tabasco Peppers transplanted 3 weeks ago
Sweet Bell pepper transplanted 3 weeks ago.

They're kicking in, cuz, believe it or not, it's actually cooling off!

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #4085 on: August 14, 2019, 01:18:22 PM »
2010 National Champs,

You're ripping tomato plants, and, I'm just getting ready to set tomato plants in 3 more weeks, LOL!
GG, i'm tired and the weather is miserable...yesterday was one of the most brutal days of my life of 65 years....heat index was 118*....my 3 months checkup showed that my sodium was low due to all of this profuse sweating that i have been doing....thankfully, my potassium was okay due mainly to all of these cantaloupe, watermelon and tomatoes that we have been eating.....this is my last big garden and i hate it for the old ladies that i give to, but its my wrinkled up old ass that is hurtin', not theirs, and at some point i have to look out for myself

Offline Rabbitproof

• Dirt Dabber
  • Foothills of the Smokey Mtns-heaven on earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #4086 on: August 14, 2019, 02:43:51 PM »
Nat champ....there comes a time.....!!!  I am 69 and have done much less in the garden in the past 2 yrs. I want it to remain a pleasure....not become a dreaded chore!

Offline Ragun Gardener

• Dirt Dabber
  • Lafayette La
    • View Profile
    • Lil Bits of Home
« Reply #4087 on: August 14, 2019, 02:53:06 PM »
I mowed 3 acres on the zero turn and 2 on the brushhog. We've had so much rain that keeping the grass cut is hard but it finally dried up enough to get it done. Like clockwork the ran started when I had 2 more passes but I did finish.

Online 1shotwade

• Grasshopper
  • The hoosier hills of southeast Indiana
    • View Profile
« Reply #4088 on: August 14, 2019, 03:07:31 PM »
I just dug some leeks. Went down a good 4-5 inches and dry as a bone! My sweet corn is curling and starting to fire before the silk turns brown! We are dry!
Wade
Looks like I'm going to need more ammo!

Offline Gymgirl

• Sprout
    • View Profile
« Reply #4089 on: August 15, 2019, 10:43:51 AM »
I hear yah on that slowing down, thing.  I'm getting there, soon...

WE GOT RAIN LAST NIGHT!  LOTS OF RAIN!!  My zukes look like they doubled in size, and "the peppers perked, per the precipitation!" 

Try saying THAT three times in a row, LOL!

I potted up 20 Gretel #eggplants, and 28 tomato seedlings.  More to go.  At least I'm staggering the harvest, LOL!

Happy Thursday, ya'll!

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #4090 on: August 15, 2019, 11:28:05 AM »
picked a bucket of green tomatoes, pulled up some plants,pulled a few ears of corn, sawed off a tree limb and then sat down....i got a late start this morning and just don't feel like doing much

Offline mater

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #4091 on: August 16, 2019, 12:17:58 AM »
I hear ya 2010.  It's so dang hot right now I don't feel like doing much either.  I got out at good daylight today and took up the fencing from one of my tomato rows and pulled up the tomato plants and the squash plants next to them.  There was a lot of tall grass to deal with because of the sprawling squash plants.  I cut that down with the weedeater and then mowed it down low with the mower.  Next step is to rake it out and begin tilling it and getting it ready for the Cole crops in September.  By 11:00 I'm drenched from the humidity and ready to hit the showers.  Typical late summer gardening......

Offline Boudin

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #4092 on: August 16, 2019, 08:28:49 AM »
I moved my fall maters outside yesterday into a shady spot.  They are about 10-12" tall now.  Planting guide says 8/15 but I think I'm going to give them another week or 2 of cushy life in pots in the shade.  It's so brutally hot, I'm not sure how they would deal with the mid day sun pounding on them.  Other than that, just waiting for it to dry up enough to drag the tiller through the plot and get it ready to plant.  Started flying lessons this week, so my already thin schedule is getting a whole lot thinner, but I can't be without something growing in the yard, I'll have nightmares... lol
Watson La. 8B

Offline Gymgirl

• Sprout
    • View Profile
« Reply #4093 on: August 16, 2019, 04:40:02 PM »
Played with seedlings, again...

Offline Gymgirl

• Sprout
    • View Profile
« Reply #4094 on: August 19, 2019, 02:19:38 PM »
Boudin,
What size pots do you have your tomato seedlings in?  Mine are almost 10" tall, with 3 more weeks to go!  They're in 16 oz clear plastic cups.

Sure don't wanna have to pot them up again!

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #4095 on: August 19, 2019, 03:45:34 PM »
picked half bucket of okra, picked the last bucket of corn, picked a bucket of tomatoes and half a bag of squash

Offline Boudin

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #4096 on: August 20, 2019, 09:15:33 AM »
Boudin,
What size pots do you have your tomato seedlings in?  Mine are almost 10" tall, with 3 more weeks to go!  They're in 16 oz clear plastic cups.

Sure don't wanna have to pot them up again!

I have mine in gallons.  It was so wet this spring, I had bunches of plants that I couldn't get into the ground so I went out and bought a bunch of gallon pots.  I hated to do it at the time, but I'm glad I did now.  I can hold em there for a while. 
Watson La. 8B

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #4097 on: August 20, 2019, 11:04:03 AM »
picked 4 ears of corn that i missed, planted 25 cups of brussel sprouts and repotted 25 brussel sprouts....love dem things in the fall

Offline Double B

• Dirt Dabber
  • Zone 9, Crosby, Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #4098 on: August 20, 2019, 05:49:14 PM »
Tilled up four rows. Even though it is warm and dry I hooked up the row hoppers and raised them up high. Maybe they won't flood out in the fall. I planted my Celebrity and Big Beef tomatoes as well as a couple more yellow straight neck squash and a couple zucchini. Next I planted three rows of top pick cream peas and half a row of blue lake green beans.
14.08 acres, John Deere 5055E, Stevens Row Hippers and cultivator, 8' Bush Hog, 74" Frontier Tiller, John Deere Z950M