Author Topic: What did you do in the garden today ?  (Read 456969 times)

Offline bordercollie

• Sprout
    • View Profile
Re: What did you do in the garden today ?
« Reply #4160 on: October 02, 2019, 09:51:30 PM »
I brought up a load of rotted gin moat  with the skid steer and took back a load of limbs to burn when it rains . Its also very dry here - a record breaking high of 99 today but thankfully, we have a chance of rain coming.
Central Mississippi

Online 1shotwade

• Grasshopper
  • The hoosier hills of southeast Indiana
    • View Profile
« Reply #4161 on: October 03, 2019, 05:53:20 AM »
Hit 100* yesterday for the first time this year! I'm in southern Indiana!
Wade
Looks like I'm going to need more ammo!

Online bigboberta

• Sprout
  • Making Gumbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #4162 on: October 03, 2019, 08:46:56 AM »
Pick 4 more cantaloupe yesterday they are beautiful. Running the drip tape everyday on the beets I transplanted day before yesterday it is so dry here but they are looking good.

Bob
« Last Edit: October 03, 2019, 08:49:06 AM by bigboberta »
Bob Guidry, Retired Firefighter.

Zone 8b.
Mahindra 3525
2.5 acres
Easleyville, LA

Online bigboberta

• Sprout
  • Making Gumbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #4163 on: October 05, 2019, 09:13:06 PM »
Had a pleasant surprise yesterday afternoon.  A shower passed over us dropping  1.2" of rain. We really needed it, this is about the driest it has been here since I moved here. I think I lost 3 blueberry bushes, the lawn is brown on the high ends of the property and the trees are losing their leaves. I think yesterday was the first time the AC shut off in the daytime in over a month.

I checked my journal and Yesterday was the first measurable rain since July 14. 51 days

Thank you Jesus.
Bob
Bob Guidry, Retired Firefighter.

Zone 8b.
Mahindra 3525
2.5 acres
Easleyville, LA

Online Rabbitproof

• Dirt Dabber
  • Foothills of the Smokey Mtns-heaven on earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #4164 on: October 06, 2019, 04:51:25 AM »
Bob...wish we could get a "drap" of rain. Bears are everywhere....one shot /killed down the road from us by a guy who said he was threatening his dog.....in a subdivision really near ours. Folks are getting video of them on their home security camera's all the time now. I told Bobby to carry bear spray to walk to the mailbox or get the paper....just down our not long driveway!! Think the bear's food/berries have all dried up....they are hungry and trying to find food to fatten for hibernation. Everyone and everything here is desperate for a rain. :(

Offline bordercollie

• Sprout
    • View Profile
« Reply #4165 on: October 06, 2019, 09:06:19 PM »
I'm not use to bears Rabbitproof !!  Ya'll be real careful . I pray it will rain soon and provide some sort of food for them and other critters. Acorns are falling here now- maybe that will provide some source for them- last year though we had very few acorns here in the yard's oak but they are plentiful now.We have a chance of rain tomorrow  .
Central Mississippi

Offline ccat

• Grasshopper
  • It takes a big chicken to weigh 20 pounds
    • View Profile
« Reply #4166 on: October 07, 2019, 07:06:41 AM »
Planted another patch of turnips and watered them and the ones that have come up...........and it FINALLY rained last night and is currently raining now.
Limestone County, Northern Alabama
NO MATTER WHERE YOU GO, THAT'S WHERE YOU'LL BE
Kubota L2501 w/FEL, 1 row Cultivator, disc hillers, middle buster, Land Pride 4' PTO tiller, many hand tools...staring 2 Hooke n Crookes.

Offline 2010 National Champs

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #4167 on: October 08, 2019, 04:03:27 PM »
Finally got a rain, although only 3/4 inch, but that was 3/4 inches more than we have had in the last 6 weeks...
I set out the kohlrabi and cleaned up a bit to finish the brussel sprouts tomorrow....I may pick me a mess of turnip greens tomorrow,also
vocal supporter for Seeds and Such Seed Co

Offline ccat

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #4168 on: October 08, 2019, 05:50:39 PM »
Champs.......that rain was great wasn't it?
TV said Huntsville got 2" and Decatur about 3", but they didn't say what Athens got.
I don't have my rain gauge out but figure we got close to 2".
It sure was welcome and mowing today was DUST FREE.
Kubota L2501 w/FEL, 1 row Cultivator, disc hillers, middle buster, Land Pride 4' PTO tiller, many hand tools...staring 2 Hooke n Crookes.

Offline bordercollie

• Sprout
    • View Profile
« Reply #4169 on: October 09, 2019, 08:59:44 PM »
We got just a sprinkle or 2  with that cold front-  and maybe a 1/10 of an inch at most last week during a passing shower.. Its still dry dry and still under a burn ban.
Central Mississippi

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #4170 on: October 10, 2019, 05:03:01 PM »
we got a little more today, just a sprinkle/mist for a couple of hours....i finished my tomato basket deer fence and planted about 15 more brussel sprouts, picked some mustard and then ate too many of them

Offline ccat

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #4171 on: October 14, 2019, 08:13:04 AM »
Finally cleaned out my tomatoes.  Got all the T-posts pulled, vines piled for burning and tilled in the rest.   Now to pull drip lines and clean the okra and I'll be done for the year.

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #4172 on: October 14, 2019, 09:59:21 AM »
Trying to finish setting out  the plants that i have left, 1 broc,12,brussel sprouts, 10 or so kohlrabi and 1 cauuliflower, but this weather change has me so damned stiff that i can hardly move...look out opiods, here i come!

Online Rabbitproof

• Dirt Dabber
    • View Profile
« Reply #4173 on: October 14, 2019, 10:48:38 AM »
Well, I kept looking for a rain to soften the soil some to pull out cages,etc....I give up. I cannot remember when it last rained.....end of July , I think???? I quit hand watering a few things left in there  several weeks ago...still have live tomatoes(amazing with no rain or water) in there but really want to pull them and my cages up. I have picked 8 tomatoes total in this  past week....smaller but tasty. Guess I will get out there with a shovel and start trying to dig the cages out of the soil after I put water to them for awhile. Tourists are packing the Smokies hoping to see the leaf color....they are very disappointed this yr., I am sure. Folks over there really are now starting to worry about wildfires again...is not stopping the huge masses of tourists,tho.

Offline bordercollie

• Sprout
    • View Profile
« Reply #4174 on: October 15, 2019, 09:00:59 AM »
RAIN beautiful rain today  :) I hope you're getting  some of it Rabbitproof . :)
Central Mississippi

Online Rabbitproof

• Dirt Dabber
    • View Profile
« Reply #4175 on: October 15, 2019, 09:59:42 AM »
Judy....We have a chance of rain in the A.M.. says 80%. Have great hopes, but they have called for that a few  times in the past 2+months, and we have gotten absolutely none. So glad y'all got a good one. I am afraid it is going to eventually start raining and then rain( or at least drizzle) all winter like it did last yr. LOL....then I will be begging for sun!!! ;D

Online ol hippie

• Grasshopper
  • Zone 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #4176 on: October 15, 2019, 12:41:13 PM »
Iím not doing anything in garden. We are finally getting rain. Itís been raining steady all day. Need rain bad even though I donít have anything planted now. Giving me time to get on here and catch up on how everybody been doing.
South-Central Alabama

Offline ccat

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #4177 on: October 15, 2019, 06:15:47 PM »
Pulled the drip line from the Okra rows, bush hogged it and will till it all under tomorrow...........meaning.............my 2019 Garden is DONE!!!!!
We are currently eating so much that I put up this summer for bring on the winter, and hurry up turnips and grow.

Online ol hippie

• Grasshopper
  • Zone 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #4178 on: October 17, 2019, 01:20:56 PM »
Weed eated around garden fence this morning. Looked over the fence and posts. Got a good bit of mending to do. These 4x4 posts are warping, twisting, bowing, and pulling staples out of the posts. Used to not be a hard thing to do. Now being older and climbing on a ladder to reach top of post is not good..
South-Central Alabama

Online Rabbitproof

• Dirt Dabber
    • View Profile
« Reply #4179 on: October 17, 2019, 01:37:41 PM »
Hippie....Be careful on that ladder. My neighbor fell off his the other day. Says he reached for something and got dizzy. Was not hurt but still alarmed him a lot.