Author Topic: Frangipani  (Read 2189 times)

Offline Vince6424

• Sprout
    • View Profile
Frangipani
« on: January 08, 2016, 06:12:25 AM »
Anyone else growing frangipani?
1/2 acre bush block in the Perth Hills, Australia

Offline catgrass

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
Re: Frangipani
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2016, 09:36:08 AM »
I do.  I have one similar to the one you have posted, and I have a pink/white one and also will be starting a deep pink one this spring.
Watch where you're going, not where you've been

Offline Vince6424

• Sprout
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2016, 09:58:04 AM »
Cool! You must be in a frost free area too. In my experience the white/yellow ones have the nice flagrance. The other colours haven't got it. Do you agree?
I propagated many by cuttings, they strike very easily.

Cheers from Australia.

Offline catgrass

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2016, 01:44:48 PM »
I am in south Louisiana.  Yes, zone 9. The white/yellow I have smells like suntan lotion.  The pink/white one, smells faintly like gardenia.  The deep pink was given to me by a friend that lives in the New Orleans area.  She has several.  It is supposed to have a smell, but I haven't planted it yet-we're in winter here.

Online OrangeTxn

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2016, 06:06:31 AM »
When I saw the post title "frangipani" my reaction was, "Now that sounds interesting.  I don't think I've ever heard of or seen one of those before."  After looking at the pic, my reaction was, "Hmmmm - that sure looks a lot like the plumeria I have growing in pots outside."  LOL.  Yes, my ignorance exceeds most of my other talents. 

I have the white/yellow version shown in your pic above.  I also have some with pink/red tinted blooms.  The white/yellow blooms have a nice scent - at least to me.  The pink/red version have very little scent.   Our weather does periodically get down to freezing, so I have to grow the trees in pots allowing me to move them inside.  Consequently, my biggest challenge is the trees getting top-heavy and falling over if the wind starts blowing hard when the plants are outside.  Other than that, they've been very easy to propagate and grow.
Location: Orange, Tx; Southeast Gulf Coast, zone 9a.  Small home garden.

Offline Vince6424

• Sprout
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2016, 06:37:11 AM »
Our neighbours did not know they Plumeria were deciduous so they threw their trees away when they lost their leaves. They thought that the trees had died. :'(

Offline Maggie13

• Sprout
  • built-incabinets
    • View Profile
    • built-incabinets.com
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2016, 10:18:37 AM »
BEAUTIFUL!
21' X 48' High Tunnel
Knox, New York   zone 4B

Online OrangeTxn

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2016, 03:30:32 AM »
My plumeria/frangipani has started to bloom.  The scent is very subtle, but nice.  I also have one with red/pink blooms, but it hasn't produced any flowers yet.
Location: Orange, Tx; Southeast Gulf Coast, zone 9a.  Small home garden.

Offline Wosiewose

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2016, 05:59:59 PM »
I have one indoors whose blooms look like yours, Vince.  It's just getting warm enough now to think about moving it outside for the summer.  I think the plant is going to skip blooming this year, though.  Usually in the years when it's going to bloom, it puts out the inflorescence before it makes any leaves, and this year the leaves are coming in but no flower stalk.  That's ok, it's pretty exotic for around here anyway even without flowers.  :)

Wosiewose
Zone 5b, Wheat Ridge, CO
1/3 acre; John Deere 210; Planet Jr. wheel hoe; and of course the indispensable Hooke & Crooke Heron and Honeybee  :)
1 awesome hubby, 2 cute cuddly little black cats, and - in our first winter now - a hive of bees!

Offline Vince6424

• Sprout
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2016, 08:52:50 PM »
Yes, they make great tropical looking plants and they are easy to propagate (cuttings) Wosiewose. Nice bloom OrangeTxn!

Offline woodchip gardener

• Dirt Dabber
  • zone 7 - above Charlotte NC
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2016, 07:58:19 AM »
beautiful!
Inch by inch, row by row
Someone bless these seeds I sow
Someone warm them from below
Till the rain comes tumblin' down
-The Garden Song

Offline catgrass

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2016, 09:30:12 AM »
Orange, mine are in large pots also, and I have problems with the wind blowing them over.  2 of my trees are about 5-6 ft. tall (in the pot).  I drive small t-posts in the ground near the pot and make tie them to the stakes.  My 2 oldest ones are blooming heavily now.  I love the fragrance of the white/yellow one.