Author Topic: The Citrus are beginning to bloom!!  (Read 2381 times)

Offline cappy

• Grasshopper
  • http://cappyandpegody.blogspot.com/
    • View Profile
    • Cappy and Pegodys World
The Citrus are beginning to bloom!!
« on: March 16, 2016, 02:04:30 PM »
I stepped out side this morning and got hit in the nose by lemon blossom scent!!!  The buds began opening last night and the tree is already buzzing with happy bees.  Soon all the citrus will be blooming and the yard will smell amazing.  I noticed small leaves on the fig tree too that means its time to go brim fishing!

Offline Maggie13

• Dirt Dabber
  • built-incabinets.com
    • View Profile
    • built-incabinets.com
Re: The Citrus are beginning to bloom!!
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2016, 06:34:34 PM »
I have never had the pleasure of smelling lemon blossoms but if they are as wonderful as limes blooms your yard must smell heavenly.
21' X 48' High Tunnel
Knox, New York   zone 4B

https://www.wunderground.com/hourly/us/ny/knox/12107

Offline Jo-Ann

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2016, 06:06:55 AM »
cappy, you are so right!! All my citrus are blooming - lemon, blood orange & satsuma. The kumquat will bloom later. It smells heavenly in the yard. I just have to watch out for the bees.
Jo-Ann
Gardening in New Orleans

Offline Gymgirl

• Sprout
  • Zone 9a, SE Houston near Hobby Airport
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2016, 09:40:25 AM »
Stumbled on this thread, and, I have a concern/question regarding my Improved Meyer Lemon tree.

It has been covered with tiny little lemons for several weeks, now, and, they seem to be swelling up really slowly, but, making progress.  After the first wave of fruits, the little tree was again covered with blooms, and, I can see tiny new fruits coming on.  I fertilized it in February, and once again last week.  Been watering consistently, too.

Yesterday, I was tending it and noticed some of the tiny newest fruit has turned ORANGE!!!  They are really hard, too.  I don't have a clue.  Have I over fertilized, maybe?  Don't think I'm overwatering, since it's supposed to be drought tolerant.

Whas' up wit' dat?  ??? ???

Linda
230.5 sf of raised bed gardening; the "eBucket Queen" :-* ; Geobin composters; Mittleider "in-the-garden greenhouse" & PVC A-frame mini-greenhouses; compost fork with a green handle; coffee grinds & bunny berries forever; baby shampoo forever; cedar fence pickets forever, PVC hoops and hoop covers, forever! :-*

Offline Vince6424

• Sprout
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2016, 09:43:19 AM »
Photos would help. In my experience citrus don't like to have wet feet, but they like a good amount
of NPK.
1/2 acre bush block in the Perth Hills, Australia

Offline Gymgirl

• Sprout
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2016, 09:46:19 AM »
Ok, Vince!

I'll post some pics tomorrow.
230.5 sf of raised bed gardening; the "eBucket Queen" :-* ; Geobin composters; Mittleider "in-the-garden greenhouse" & PVC A-frame mini-greenhouses; compost fork with a green handle; coffee grinds & bunny berries forever; baby shampoo forever; cedar fence pickets forever, PVC hoops and hoop covers, forever! :-*

Offline cappy

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2016, 10:28:55 AM »
Gymgirl, How big is your tree from the sounds of things it is small and young.  If this is the case the tree isnot big enough for the amount of fruit it has set.  If the tree isn't as big as you are then you should pinch all of the fruit off the tree this year soon and let the tree grow this year.

Offline Gymgirl

• Sprout
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2016, 11:08:01 AM »
Cappy,
My tree is only 1-2 years old. It's in a 24" planter and is barely up to my waist...

I bought it fall before last.  Brought it home and it quickly became covered with blooms.  I was totally ignorant about citrus trees, and wrongfully assumed they grew in the tropical, warm months.  So, I put my little tree in the garage to protect it from the cold world.  In the dark, cold garage, all winter.  ???

When I brought it out for the springtime, it looked worse than Charlie Brown's Christmas tree.  But then, once again, it quickly became COVERED in blooms.  Then, they all fell off.  I wasn't giving up, and started doing some research, and learned a little bit.   ::)

I knew it wasn't dead, but, it wasn't doing much else except surviving, so I rebooted, repotted it, and then left if alone... :)

This past fall it started filling up with blooms again, and I had hope when I saw tiny little fingernail fruits coming on.  But, we've had such a mild winter, I believe the cycle is messed up again.  So, this will actually be its 2nd year of blooms, and its first year with tiny fruits.

It pains my heart to pull all the fruits off, but, I've seen your videos, and, you look like you could be one of the citrus gurus on this website.  I'll pull them off, one --- by --- one --- "oh the humanity!!!!"  :'( :'( :'(.... tomorrow.

I'll still post a pic, too.

Thanks!

Offline cappy

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2016, 11:53:12 AM »
My wife Peg said to tell ya she feels your pain and she said to heck with cappy leave one or 2.  just look at the branches and try to leave them on the sturdier branches.  1 or 2 wont hurt.  They give ya something to fuss and pray over while your tree takes advantage of a spring spurt of growth.  We planted a keefer lime tree last year and she has been watching me like a hawk to ensure I leave 1 or 2 that she is convinced wont hurt.

Offline Gymgirl

• Sprout
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2016, 03:08:33 PM »
Tell Peg I love her.  :-*