Author Topic: What's the weather like in your area ?  (Read 204968 times)

Offline NavyBob

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
Re: What's the weather like in your area ?
« Reply #1660 on: June 07, 2019, 03:00:29 PM »
Rain, rain, rain in Southeast Virginia.  There was a lot of rain and wind on Wednesday, a little rain yesterday and now it is raining cats and dogs on Friday afternoon.

Offline Rabbitproof

• Dirt Dabber
  • Foothills of the Smokey Mtns-heaven on earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #1661 on: June 14, 2019, 09:59:03 AM »
A first for us, I think. We had to flip on the heat when we got up this morning....house was way too chilly. Using heat in mid June ...wow! The weather for the most part has had many Fall-like days for about 3 weeks- a month. Today is gorgeous...yesterday,too. Humidity in the low 40's. I could live with this yr round, except the garden is somewhat slow. Do not want another seriously delayed yr like last yr! It has been so nice  that I am still harvesting lettuce. At least that seems to like the cooler weather so far.

Offline Boudin

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #1662 on: June 14, 2019, 11:58:06 AM »
It's been nice here too (for summer)  been topping out in the mid to high 80s instead of the mid to high 90s, and the evenings have been in the 60s instead of the normal muggy 70s.  I'll take all I can get, but I'm afraid we are returning to the broiler soon.
Watson La. 8B

Offline Ragun Gardener

• Dirt Dabber
  • Lafayette La
    • View Profile
    • Lil Bits of Home
« Reply #1663 on: June 15, 2019, 12:04:38 PM »
That nice weather didn't last long, it's so muggy and hot here today. It just started raining and it's needed to cool us down.

Offline Double B

• Dirt Dabber
  • Zone 9, Crosby, Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #1664 on: July 10, 2019, 07:01:40 AM »
Well....looks like some of us are in for some possible rough weather the next few days. We are all watching the weather to see if this first storm of the season will be a tropical depression or turn into a hurricane. Here's hoping for the best for all our gulf coast Gardeners.
14.08 acres, John Deere 5055E, Stevens Row Hippers and cultivator, 8' Bush Hog, 74" Frontier Tiller, John Deere Z950M

Online bigboberta

• Sprout
  • Making Gumbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #1665 on: July 10, 2019, 03:37:33 PM »
NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER is predicting 7 to 10" of rain in the next 3 days.  New Orleans had from 5 to 10" this morning, and the storm system is still south of Fla. Thank God that I live at the top of a hill, there is a 35' drop from my house to the entrance road and continues to drop for the next 5 miles a total of 152'.

Wishing for the best for our members to the south and west of here. Lord knows they had it bad enough 3 years ago.

Bob

Bob Guidry, Retired Firefighter.

Zone 8b.
Mahindra 3525
2.5 acres
Easleyville, LA

Offline whitestrout

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #1666 on: July 13, 2019, 08:15:29 AM »
   Here in south Alabama in the last few days it  has been nice cooler, breezy, some rain.  Now raining, and looks like a hundred miles of rain coming up from the gulf. Going to be a wash out day. Think I go straighten up the work room and listen to the radio.
Mulch It, Don't Till it, leave the top soil on top.

Offline Ragun Gardener

• Dirt Dabber
  • Lafayette La
    • View Profile
    • Lil Bits of Home
« Reply #1667 on: July 13, 2019, 09:30:51 AM »
The weather hasn't been bad here in Lafayette yet. Just a few wind gust and light rain.

Here's a interactive weather tool I found that's really nice. It's set to reported wind gust at the surface, to use it just scroll to an area you want to check and click. Make sure you see an open hand symbol, if you scroll over a city it will show a pop-up of the details.
https://on.windy.com/2hjir

Offline Rabbitproof

• Dirt Dabber
    • View Profile
« Reply #1668 on: July 13, 2019, 11:26:01 AM »
Thanks, Ragun....good link.

Offline whitestrout

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #1669 on: July 14, 2019, 07:16:06 AM »
Rain finished (sort of) in my area.  I got 5 1/4" in my rain bucket. Not too bad. Cool and nice now.
 For weather info I use primofish.com weather page. A lot of radar and links to all kinds of info including windy TV.
Mulch It, Don't Till it, leave the top soil on top.

Online Gymgirl

• Sprout
  • Zone 9a, SE Houston near Hobby Airport
    • View Profile
« Reply #1670 on: August 15, 2019, 12:28:19 PM »
WE GOT RAIN LAST NIGHT!!!  YAY!!!
230.5 sf of raised bed gardening; the "eBucket Queen" :-* ; Geobin composters; Mittleider "in-the-garden greenhouse" & PVC A-frame mini-greenhouses; compost fork with a green handle; coffee grinds & bunny berries forever; baby shampoo forever; cedar fence pickets forever, PVC hoops and hoop covers, forever! :-*

Offline Rabbitproof

• Dirt Dabber
    • View Profile
« Reply #1671 on: August 15, 2019, 01:16:36 PM »
Congrats, Gymgirl....my Texas brother is in Colorado so not up on the weather in Houston/Kingwood. We here are doing ok rain-wise. Usually during this time, rain is scarce, but have gotten enough so far.

Offline mater

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #1672 on: August 16, 2019, 12:06:56 AM »
Typical late summer weather here in Arkansas.  Weeks without rain unless you happen to be under the right cloud and then it might rain for 15 minutes.  Last Saturday, however, we got four inches and that was a surprise.  I woke up to thunder and thought I was dreaming.  It was nice to not have to water for a few days.....

Offline Rabbitproof

• Dirt Dabber
    • View Profile
« Reply #1673 on: October 16, 2019, 01:06:13 PM »
Well, after all the hype about how much rain we would get during the night and this morning to ease the drought, we got 1/2 inch total. The sun is now out... 62 degrees. Boy, they had us thinking maybe 5 inches....bah, humbug to the weather people!

Online bigboberta

• Sprout
  • Making Gumbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #1674 on: October 16, 2019, 04:30:07 PM »
Got .6"yesterday and 1.1 during the knight.  The rain yesterday was a good slow soaking rain.  Last night I don't know slept through it.  Wasn't raining when I went to sleep, but was when I woke up. A total of 2.1 in the last 3 days. beets looking good.

Bob

Zone 8b.
Mahindra 3525
2.5 acres
Easleyville, LA

Online ol hippie

• Grasshopper
  • Zone 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #1675 on: October 17, 2019, 01:06:56 PM »
It was a nice 46 degrees here this morning. Got a total 3.25 rain earlier in week. That was also nice.
South-Central Alabama

Offline Rabbitproof

• Dirt Dabber
    • View Profile
« Reply #1676 on: October 17, 2019, 02:49:20 PM »
We were 36 degrees this morning....brrrr!! Gorgeous day but we really need more rain....chance this weekend.

Online bigboberta

• Sprout
  • Making Gumbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #1677 on: October 18, 2019, 10:39:15 AM »
Yesterday I was trying to get the last grass cutting for the year hopefully. I felt really chili riding around on my zero turn mower and decided to go inside and get a jacket. Looked at the thermometer and it was 52, no wonder I was so cold.

Bob
« Last Edit: October 18, 2019, 10:43:49 AM by bigboberta »

Zone 8b.
Mahindra 3525
2.5 acres
Easleyville, LA