Author Topic: What's the weather like in your area ?  (Read 195058 times)

Online bordercollie

• Sprout
    • View Profile
Re: What's the weather like in your area ?
« Reply #1600 on: April 13, 2019, 09:01:42 AM »
Thank you Rabbitproof. Ya'll too  !
Central Mississippi

Online bordercollie

• Sprout
    • View Profile
« Reply #1601 on: April 13, 2019, 05:45:35 PM »
Tornado alert just went off on my phone. It looks like its going about 5 miles N of us in Yazoo county.Much lightening and windy  here though.  Heads up ya'll..
Central Mississippi

Online bordercollie

• Sprout
    • View Profile
« Reply #1602 on: April 13, 2019, 07:04:49 PM »
The funnel went N of us and we're on the auto generator right now but back in the house. We're fine - the flash flooding is tremendous though. Never seen water this high . Feel bad for farmers and their livelihood and gardeners also.  The tornadic activity is headed NE so Champ, Rabbit and others  in the path may be in for a rough night.   God bless and protect y'all .  judy 
Central Mississippi

Online ccat

• Grasshopper
  • It takes a big chicken to weigh 20 pounds
    • View Profile
« Reply #1603 on: April 13, 2019, 07:42:39 PM »
...border, glad you were spared from the storm.
We here in N. Alabama are under a torcon of 5 and on the northern edge of the "area".
Supposed to blow through here about 2-3am.   Probably going to be a sleepless night.
Here's to everyone being safe and the storms fizzle out soon.
Limestone County, Northern Alabama
NO MATTER WHERE YOU GO, THAT'S WHERE YOU'LL BE
Kubota L2501 w/FEL, 1 row Cultivator, disc hillers, middle buster, Land Pride 4' PTO tiller, many hand tools...staring 2 Hooke n Crookes.

Online bordercollie

• Sprout
    • View Profile
« Reply #1604 on: April 13, 2019, 08:57:48 PM »
Ccat,Champ, Rabbit and others that direction. Its still raining here and many trees are down. We had a lull in the storm and went in the truck to look at damage but most of road is impassable . This tree across the road and on the electric fence  is one of many and thats water way up on the road there. This is my bil's electric fence and my job to fix ... cows  are inside it as well. ( Power  is  out till tomorrow night by estimates- 78,000 without  rural power)  Folks we know 7 miles away are having a "hurricane party" and invited all who can get there- most can't  including us.
 Can't stress enough how important it is to be weather aware. Ya'll be safe and  may God watch over ya'll.
 Still waiting to hear from our Louisianians and Texans.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2019, 09:54:57 PM by bordercollie »
Central Mississippi

Online Ragun Gardener

• Sprout
  • Lafayette La
    • View Profile
    • Lil Bits of Home
« Reply #1605 on: April 14, 2019, 09:16:29 AM »
It wasn't bad Lafayette, just windy with a bunch of small branches down. We even missed the rain except for a few drizzles. Texas got most of the rain from what I saw checking on the radar yesterday.

What a difference in temps compared to yesterday.

Online Rabbitproof

• Dirt Dabber
  • Foothills of the Smokey Mtns-heaven on earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #1606 on: April 14, 2019, 11:56:00 AM »
Wow, Judy...sorry y'all got it so bad but so glad you are ok.  Have a SIL in Brandon....said she would call if she got in trouble there. Heard it was bad but think all ok for her....assume so, as we have not heard more from her. Will call ina bit and see for sure. Boy, yall have a mess to clean up, I am sure. We are ok here so far...rain and some wind, but nothing like they had tried to scare us with. We never know when to take the weather predictions seriously around here....they love to hype. Sounds like no hype in your area....y'all take care!!!

Offline bigboberta

• Sprout
  • Making Gumbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #1607 on: April 14, 2019, 01:06:07 PM »
We got 2.6" of rain here in 3 different bands of rain, one in the evening and one late night.  Don't see any damage except for a few rotten trees, Did lose power during the night, generator woke me up.  All in all not that bad.

Rabbit, predicting the weather is not an exact science.  They make educated guesses with the data provided to them,  Sometimes I get upset with the forecasts then I realize they don't control the weather, God does.

I would rather them over predict storms than under predict and have something sneak up on us and be under prepared.

Bob
Bob Guidry, Retired Firefighter.

Zone 8b.
Mahindra 3525
2.5 acres
Easleyville, LA

Offline virginiagardener

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #1608 on: April 14, 2019, 05:55:01 PM »
Glad to hear y'all made it through the storms okay. We have a tornado watch now up here in VA. It looks like the worst of the storms are going to miss us.

~~VG

Online Rabbitproof

• Dirt Dabber
    • View Profile
« Reply #1609 on: April 15, 2019, 10:14:47 AM »
Bigbobberta...Weather guys here are notorious for getting things ridiculously wrong. Think it has something to do with our location. They don't get it just somewhat off... many times they are nowhere near close.  The other day they called for 90% chance of rain the next day....woke up the next morning to a gorgeous day, and they had changed the forecast to 0% chance of rain. Stuff like that drives me batty!! It is so funny how they love to predict 40% chance of rain for many days straight....we all know that means they don't have a clue what it is supposed to do. They had predicted severe storms for Sunday with damaging winds, hail, dangerous lightening,etc. We got mild-moderate rain Sunday morning with (13mph)wind.
 Sunday afternoon around 2pm the sun came out and the wind picked up( 15-20mph) and just occasional stronger gusts only. Glad they were wrong as usual...but good golly they had us thinking the world was going to end! ;D

Offline 2010 National Champs

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #1610 on: April 15, 2019, 01:28:32 PM »
Bigbobberta...Weather guys here are notorious for getting things ridiculously wrong. Think it has something to do with our location. They don't get it just somewhat off... many times they are nowhere near close.  The other day they called for 90% chance of rain the next day....woke up the next morning to a gorgeous day, and they had changed the forecast to 0% chance of rain. Stuff like that drives me batty!! It is so funny how they love to predict 40% chance of rain for many days straight....we all know that means they don't have a clue what it is supposed to do. They had predicted severe storms for Sunday with damaging winds, hail, dangerous lightening,etc. We got mild-moderate rain Sunday morning with (13mph)wind.
 Sunday afternoon around 2pm the sun came out and the wind picked up( 15-20mph) and just occasional stronger gusts only. Glad they were wrong as usual...but good golly they had us thinking the world was going to end! ;D
the reason you had no severe weather is because we got it all here in mississippi and alabama saturday evening and saturday night....i was up until after 2
vocal supporter for Seeds and Such Seed Co

Online Rabbitproof

• Dirt Dabber
    • View Profile
« Reply #1611 on: April 15, 2019, 02:03:50 PM »
2010 Nat Champ....Oh, I well remember the Ms horror weather , especially in the Spring...I was running for cover all the time!!

Offline virginiagardener

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #1612 on: April 15, 2019, 03:13:17 PM »
We had a pretty good line of storms come through our little spot in VA about 1 o'clock this morning. No damage on our place to speak of, but the power was out for 12 hours. The wind is still blowing pretty hard - hopefully it will dry the gardens so I can go out and get something done.

~~VG

Offline NavyBob

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #1613 on: April 15, 2019, 04:25:23 PM »
We had a pretty good line of storms come through our little spot in VA about 1 o'clock this morning.

You must be West of me.  The storm hit my place between 3:30 and 4:00 am with high winds and torrential rain.  I'm just starting to get my garden going but my plot is a mud hole this afternoon.

Offline virginiagardener

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #1614 on: April 15, 2019, 06:17:47 PM »
You must be West of me.  The storm hit my place between 3:30 and 4:00 am with high winds and torrential rain.  I'm just starting to get my garden going but my plot is a mud hole this afternoon.

I would imagine so. I'm just a couple miles east of Fredericksburg. My uncle has a place in Northumberland and the storm got them about 3:30 or so.  I'm really itching to get some plants in the ground this year myself.  I have 44 tomato plants that have really outgrown their little pots.

Online bordercollie

• Sprout
    • View Profile
« Reply #1615 on: April 15, 2019, 09:55:33 PM »
 I really glad that nobody on the forum was harmed  with this weather. Our power was restored about 2 hrs ago  so that would be Monday night around 8 - it went out Saturday about 4pm. A long ways from their estimate.. but that was because so many trees were down. Our neighbor behind us about 2 miles said he had over a hundred trees down so I guess this storm was much harder in some areas than others.
   My sis and I went to se AR Sunday to a funeral and back late this afternoon. ( It was so wet that the burial is delayed till possible. I saw a lot of flooded fields and then some that had corn about 2 inches high.  Rabbitproof, the Miss River is  completely surrounding those grain elevators  on the AR side of the bridge. 
Central Mississippi

Online Rabbitproof

• Dirt Dabber
    • View Profile
« Reply #1616 on: April 16, 2019, 08:08:18 AM »
Yes, Judy..Our friends on Facebook keep posting totally flooded field pictures....it is really bad south of Greenville,too, especially down around Valley Park. Had no idea,tho, that the Ark side of the bridge looked liked that...wow! What a mess! Have seen it like that in Vicksburg and Valley Partk many years ago, when we lived in Jackson and drove home to Greenville on the weekends....water as far as you could see everywhere. When it is bad, it just gets so bad.  Glad y'all finally got the electricity back on...know that is such a relief. Unfortunately, there is another round of storms headed your way tomorrow, I believe. Sure hope not as bad...have not listened this morning to the National weather. Y'all be watchful and take care....D

Offline Boudin

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #1617 on: April 16, 2019, 10:10:03 PM »
When it dries up this summer and I have to drag the hose around every day I will not be complaining.  Y’all remind me I said that.
Watson La. 8B

Online bordercollie

• Sprout
    • View Profile
« Reply #1618 on: April 17, 2019, 09:27:01 AM »
Ya'll be careful too. I did a lot of repairing yesterday and it wasn't nearly as bad as it could have been. That was a little tornado just behind us which got closer to 200 trees but no human damage .My neighbor that farms the section there around where the trees are showed me pictures from his phone. Nice big trees- very sad to see.
 The last several years we've had little F zero tornadoes within a few miles so consider me grateful for minor damage.  The flash flooding did most of our damage this time.
Central Mississippi

Online Gymgirl

• Sprout
  • Zone 9a, SE Houston near Hobby Airport
    • View Profile
« Reply #1619 on: April 17, 2019, 12:36:22 PM »
We're clouding up over here, and the wind is picking up.  Supposed to have thunderstorms tonight and into tomorrow morning, 60% chance.

But, it looks like it's gonna get here sooner than late tonight.  Gonna be a messy commute home...

I managed to get the property cut yesterday evening, so, the rain is welcomed at this point.
230.5 sf of raised bed gardening; the "eBucket Queen" :-* ; Geobin composters; Mittleider "in-the-garden greenhouse" & PVC A-frame mini-greenhouses; compost fork with a green handle; coffee grinds & bunny berries forever; baby shampoo forever; cedar fence pickets forever, PVC hoops and hoop covers, forever! :-*