Author Topic: Peach Question  (Read 955 times)

Offline crash56

• Grasshopper
  • Garden like your life dependes on it...it just may
    • View Profile
Peach Question
« on: April 05, 2016, 08:24:00 PM »
Last year I had some good peaches on my tree. But when they were still green there was  some kind of sticky syrupy stuff on them. When I cut them open the center it looked like some sort of small beetle/bug in them.  Any ideas on what it could have been and what I can do to keep it from happening again? Thanks

Tony

Offline MikeM

• Sprout
  • Used to be MikeCHS
    • View Profile
Re: Peach Question
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2016, 06:35:01 AM »
It's hard to say without a picture but it might be from the Fruit Fly.  They bore into the fruit and lay their eggs but I haven't personally seen any to say that might be what you have.
Shepherds Hill Farm - Zone 7a
L3200 Kubota with loader and box blade. Husqvarna rear tine tiller
19 acres in southern Middle TN

woodchip gardener

Re: Peach Question
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2016, 11:46:41 AM »
mike is right.  i could be a number of bugs...beetles, earwigs, stinkbugs...

i had good luck last year using tanglefoot  in a wide strip around the trunk and then a thinner stripe around each of the main branches.  That will keep the ants and some of the crawling bugs off.   I did not have much luck using the paper tape and cotton and ended up putting it right on the trunk.  other than some discoloration, it has not seemed to have hurt my tree.  they budded and flowered fine (until the frost got them).

they make pheromone traps to catch the beetles.  just be sure not to put them too close to your peach trees.   i caught thousands of them last year using the bag traps.  hopefully it won't be too bad this year.

also, as soon as a peach gets ripe you need to pick them.  they are like a giant magnet to all bugs.  last year i picked mine when they had blushed up but were not soft yet.  set them on a cupboard for a few days and they will ripen up.  just make sure you let them get some sort of color to them so they get sweet. 

good luck!