Author Topic: Another peach question  (Read 1940 times)

Offline agragarden

• Grasshopper
  • Zone 7
    • View Profile
Another peach question
« on: April 11, 2016, 07:02:49 AM »
   This is the first year our peach trees are producing . Is there something that your supposed spray or dust on them for bugs or worms now . I guess what im saying is I dont know any thing about taking care of peach trees. The peaches are the size of a nickle and threr are quite a few of them. Just trying to learn the right was to care for em.

Thanks for any advice.   Rick

Offline hunter4559

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
Re: Another peach question
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2016, 10:12:31 AM »
Well, I know you have missed at least one spraying. They say you should spray at bud swell and (I think) just after blooming. Also if this is the first year fruiting, remove most of the fruit so more energy goes to tree growth. Heavy fruit loads on young peaches can cause them to break limbs. Spray with an orchard spray, usually Malathion/Captan. Heres a link.

http://extension.missouri.edu/p/G6010-7#Peaches
« Last Edit: April 11, 2016, 10:29:58 AM by hunter4559 »
Zone 6a

Offline agragarden

• Grasshopper
  • Zone 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2016, 10:53:57 AM »
      Hunter..........  What does the term shuck-split mean ?

Rick

Offline hunter4559

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2016, 12:13:52 PM »
Here you go. The internet is a wonderful thing!

http://homeguides.sfgate.com/shuck-split-fruit-trees-58866.html
Zone 6a

Offline hunter4559

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2016, 05:54:38 PM »
Rick Heres a pic of shuck split on one of my trees. The fruit is about the size of a pea. I'm amazed that I've even got fruit growing as we've had a number of nights below freezing after it started to bloom.

« Last Edit: April 16, 2016, 06:14:28 PM by hunter4559 »
Zone 6a

woodchip gardener

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2016, 06:10:01 PM »
hi agra.  last year i used 1 cup vegetable oil, 1 tablespoon dish soap (not dish detergent, just dish soap) and some strained hot pepper juice to 1 gallon of water.

i sprayed this on the tree just after the tree fruited and also sprayed again later in the season.  the veg oil kill the aphids, the dish soap helps it stick and the strained pepper juice deters the bugs. 

my tree is old.  i put a ring of tackyfoot around the trunk and each of the 4 main limbs.  this kept the ants off.  the other predatory bugs took care of eating most of the aphids once the ants were not there to protect them.

they also say if you put a yellow bowl full of soapy water by your tree it will attract the aphids and white flies to the bowl and they will die from the soap. 

good luck!